My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #7: List Topper. There are lots of myths and misconceptions about Migraine

Migraine Awareness Month #7:   List Topper. There are lots of myths and misconceptions about Migraine. Which one tops your list as the biggest and most common? What can we do to get the truth out there?
George Cruikshank 1819 The Headache
One misconception about migraine that really bothers me is that it's just a bad headache. Having dealt with migraines since I was seven years old, it annoys me when people casually throw the term around like it's just a paper cut or the sniffles. If someone says, "I had such a migraine, but I took an Advil and it got better," or "Wine always helps my migraines," then that person most likely does NOT have migraines. I love my wine, but when I have a migraine, just thinking about alcoholic beverages makes me queasy. And I may as well take a Pez as an Advil! Migraines are so much more than just bad headaches. They overtake not just your head but your entire being. They can last for days. Their aftereffects can last for days even after the pain is gone. Migraines can make you doubt your very existence. A drink and an Advil won't cure all that. I wish it could.


 National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

1 comment:

  1. Well said!
    Only those of us that have been in THIS PAIN, know the difference between a H/A and a migraine. There is NO COMPARRISON!
    THEN...there are the different types of migraines with different names. I thank the lord that I haven't had the ones with flashing lights and numbness. A daughter does. :0(
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!