My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month 24: "A Guy and a Girl Walk Into a Bar..." - Tell us your most amusing Migraine Story

Migraine Awareness Month 24:  "A Guy and a Girl Walk Into a Bar..." - Tell us your most amusing Migraine Story

(This is a substitute post)

There is a local place where we go for take-out Chinese at least once a month. The lady who runs the place knows me, calls me "Mami," and we talk and joke around while I wait for my order (always with no MSG!) Once we were discussing how MSG is a staple in Chinese cooking. I said that it gives my daughter migraines. The Chinese woman said, "Oh, she needs to use [and here she said something that sounded like] seri."

source

I immediately perked up, thinking that maybe this was the answer to our problems-some ancient Chinese herbal remedy or something! I asked her, "Is that Chinese?" She looked at me like I had two heads. "You don't know 'seri?'" she asked. I shook my head. "What is it? Say it again?" She repeated the word at least a couple more times but to no avail. At this point, most people probably would have just said, "Okay," and left it at that, but I wasn't about to let a possible migraine remedy go unexplored just because of a language barrier! "I still don't understand," I said. "Can you spell it?" She shook her head at me like I was a slow witted child. " 'Seri' like you use in 'sarad' " she finally said. Then the light bulb went off. "Oh," I exclaimed, "celery!" "Yeah, tell her to chew it. Good for headache."

I did try it. It didn't work. Oh well. So much for Chinese herbal remedies!

 "National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

3 comments:

  1. Lol, chomping on celery could probably trigger a migraine if the stars were poorly aligned. Cute story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seri works really well for reflux, though.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!