My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Monday, June 14, 2010

GUEST BLOGGER!!! ALLISON!!!

Well, the 64th Annual Tonys were on recently, and I, for one, was thoroughly entertained. However, I'd like to focus on one specific performance that left me breathless (I laughed a little too hard.) Unfortunately, it wasn't a comedy; it was Catherine Zeta-Jones' performance of "Send In the Clowns."

She was performing this song from her revival of "A Little Night Music." The show opened to terrible reviews, yet somehow managed to get nominated for best revival. (?) Anyway, after this show, I see why it bombed.

First of all, did anyone else think she was having neck spasms? During the entire song, she was flinging her head all over the place. You have to wonder, with things like that, were those stage directions, or did she make it up? I mean, really. What director would come up with something like that? And what would it say? "Twitch head spastically as if you're a dog watching a fly or a laser pointer?"

Maybe the fly just flew into her head. That's why she was looking all over the place like a maniac. She heard a buzzing and couldn't tell where it was coming from. "It's over there! No, it's there now! Where is it, darn it!?" Then, when it was at the center of her head, and she felt it right behind her nose, that's when we got:


Now, I would critique her singing, but I was laughing and commenting the entire time and didn't hear it. From what I got out of it, the only word you could understand was "clown," and the performance pretty much sucked.

Stick with "Chicago", honey.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. I swear I saw fish in your tank minutes ago.
    Know my eyesight is bad, but geezus! :0)
    Would love to own that penquoir she was wearing.
    I would have to die & be dead a few year to fit into it. :0(

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!