My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happy New Year!

Forget about the Shake Weight, y'all. If you really want a strenuous total arm workout, try making homemade challah! Yes, it's that time of year again (don't ask me what time or what year-it's too confusing in Jewish months and years!), but it's Rosh Hashanah or Jewish New Year.

If I were an observant Jew, I would be in temple today. However, I consider myself "Jewish Light." I'm more culturally Jewish than religiously Jewish. I married an Italian Catholic for Christ sake! So, in the spirit of both Jews and Italians, I spent the day cooking!

Challah, which is a sweet, egg bread, can be eaten any time of the year, but it is eaten especially at Rosh Hashanah. It's also baked into round loaves at this time to signify the circle of life. Jews believe that during the next 2 weeks, God opens the Book of Life. We scurry around atoning for the previous year's sins and praying to have our names inscribed in the Book for the coming year before the Book is closed again. How do you know if your name is written in the Book? If you die during the next year, it wasn't.
Jabba the Challah?

ready to bake
all done!
Today was quite rainy, which made the proceedings rather sticky and more difficult than usual. Hopefully, it will taste OK. So, to everyone in blogland, Shana Tova (a good and sweet year!)

2 comments:

  1. I knew about it being Rosh Hashanah because I have a Jewish school I deliver to (but not today!) And I am always in favor of food. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. always with the Jews marrying the Italians (or at least the Catholics)! Happy New Year and Happy Challah to you! Here's how far we've come--I can buy challah at WFM any day of the week...it's my kids' favorite bread so I do it. It's not as good as homemade which tends to be more dense and delicious. Maybe I should try baking it some time soon. You are inspiring me. twinkly

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!